Elizabeth Blackwell to Howard Blackwell, August 19th

Item

Title
Type
Archival Letter
Abstract
A short note from Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell to her brother Howard Blackwell. Dr. Blackwell is worried about their sister Dr. Emily Blackwell's health, and speculates about the nature of her relationship with her partner Dr. Elizabeth Cushier.
Who wrote the letter
Elizabeth Blackwell, M.D. (1821-1910)
Receiver of letter
Howard Lane Blackwell (b.1877)
Date Written
1904-08-19
Transcription
Private
Friday, Aug: 19th

Just returned yesterday from a very fine trip round the “[----] of Bute”, your letter of July 31st was handed to me, so I add a line (sheppard, cheque enclosed came safely) I hope most heartily that dear Howard, new engagement may prove as satisfactory as it seems to promise. Pray keep us fully informed about it. –I am anxious about Emily; -Knowing that from babyhood there has been a little [postnasal] difficulty. Pray tell me, confidentially, whether you think it well that she should go [to?] California with Dr Cushier if her health is seriously impaired. What is the connexion, exactly, with Cushier? Does Emily pay her expenses, and give her a salary, as companion? for Cushier’s not in independent circumstances and has a family of her own to help. I should like to know all these particulars –for I feel really anxious to help, both a sister and valued co-worker as Emily has been.
This cold wet Summer is not favorable for Scotland; but we shall get much enjoyment out of the month we [---] to stay home. Much love to all.
Elizabeth.
Source
Blackwell family. Papers of the Blackwell family, 1831-1981, Folder 67. Elizabeth to the family and friends. 1900-1907., http://pds.lib.harvard.edu/pds/view/47314743 seq. 5
http://schlesinger.radcliffe.harvard.edu/onlinecollections/blackwell/item/47314743/5
Rights Holder
Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University
Item sets
Cushier/Blackwell

New Tags

I agree with terms of use and I accept to free my contribution under the licence CC BY-SA.